- BizTalk Server 2016 with Feature Pack 1
- InfluxDb time series database.
- ESB Feature Pack for BizTalk Server v1.4
This article describes how to configure BizTalk Server to store tracking data in InfluxDb time series database instead of Azure Application Insights. The below steps describe how to register and configure tracking provider included in ESB Feature Pack v1.4 to send tracking data to InfluxDb. The ESB Pack v1.4 only supports UDP protocol.
Registering Provider for BizTalk Analytics
This step is required to register analytic event provider in BizTalk management database. To complete this step, execute the below SQL statement:
Configuring Provider for BizTalk Analytics
This step is required to configure provider for BizTalk Server registered in the previous step. To complete this step, open BizTalk Server Management console tracking settings and select InfluxDb provider as target type:
Next, specify connection parameters to configure analytics provider, for example:
The above example specifies time series database name in InfluxDb deployed locally and configured to use UDP protocol using port 8089 for writing to designated time series database. For optimal performance, it is always recommended to use UDP protocol instead of HTTP.
The following parameters can be specified in analytic provider connection string:
- Data Source – specifies IP or host name for InfluxDB and port. The ESB Pack v1.4 only supports UDP protocol.
- Initial Catalog – specifies name of existing time series database in InfluxDb.
- User Id – this is optional parameter, which specifies name of existing user in InfluxDb. This user account should have necessary permissions for writing to InfluxDb.
- Password – this is optional parameter, which specifies password for user in InfluxDb.
- Application Name – specifies name of data retention policy in InfluxDb. It is recommended to use ‘default’ to avoid referencing custom retention policies by name.
- Packet Size – specifies maximum UDP buffer size in 16 byte paragraphs. The recommended value for Windows OS is 4000.
- Connection Timeout – reserved for future use for HTTP protocol.
After setting tracking provider and restarting BizTalk hosts, operators can create dashboard to visualize data stored in InfluxDb using Grafana visualization software. The example dashboard was created in Grafana in less than a minute without any coding:
For the steps required to configure new datasource in Grafana and import sample dashboards from GitHub, please refer to data visualization articles in this knowledge base.